First Aid For Poison Victims

More than 90 percent of all poison incidents happen inside the house. And while anybody can be a victim, kids are the most vulnerable since they're smaller, have quicker metabolic rate, and their body are less capable to handle toxic material.

Here are the most common things that cause accidental poisoning if used improperly:
• Plants
• Cleaning solutions
• Insecticides and pesticides
• Cosmetics
• Solvents
• Paints
• Drugs and medications

What to Do When Poisoning Happens

Poison is swallowed

If it's a kid, take the substance away. If the poison is still inside the mouth ask the victim to

spit it out or take out the substance with your finger. Instructions on packages in instances of poisoning often tell you to stimulate vomiting. Don't follow this without first referring your physician.

Where to look for help

When the person is exhibiting symptoms like unusual drooling, burning and blistering on the lips and mouth, sore throat, unconsciousness or seizure, irritability, nausea, and trouble breathing, call 911 immediately. If it is a kid, look out for other signs like jumpiness, strange stain on the clothes, and strange fluids coming from the mouth.

If the victim does not show any of the signs, call your doctor or your local poison control center. Be prepared to give the victim's personal information and also the information regarding substance.

Poison in the eye
Rinse the affected using lukewarm (not hot) water. Be sure that you hold the lid open while continuously pouring out a steady stream of water for about 15 minutes. A child is harder to hold while washing the eye so you might need another individual to help you. Never use eyedrops, eyecup, or ointments. Only when instructed by the poison center. Call a

doctor for professional assistance.

Poisonous gases or fumes are breathed in
Solvents and cleaners, wood, kerosene, or coal stoves that did not turn on, leaky gas vent, a mixture of ammonia and bleach and a car running in a closed garage and are all origins of poisonous fumes. If any of these is breathed in, go to an place where fresh air is available.

If somebody has inhaled harmful fumes for quite a while and is has difficulty breathing, take him or her out for fresh air and call 911 or your EMS (local emergency service). When the victim is breathing normally, get in touch with the poison center to receive proper orders on how to administer the correct treatment. If the victim has ceased breathing, ask somebody to call 911 and start CPR. Don't stop until the person begins to breathe on his/her own or if somebody else takes over. If there's no other person in the place except you, perform CPR for 1 minute then dial 911.

Poison on the skin
Poisonous chemicals, when poured on the body can be painful, itchy and can cause burn and allergic reaction. If this occurs, take away the clothes and exhaustively rinse the skin using lukewarm water.


• Don't keep poisonous materials together with your food
• Keep toxic materials away from reach of kids
• Label hazardous chemicals intelligibly and store it in separate and secured compartment

Please login to comment on this post.
There are no comments yet.
Tips On Speed Boat Maintenance
What Your First Aid Kit Should Contain